Saturday, January 24, 2015

Upcoming Exhibition - March 2015

I know it's been awhile. And if you follow my food allergy blog, you'll understand why. However, deadlines seem to light a fire under my butt faster than anything else and this past month is no exception.

Ever since I began portrait art, I avoided acrylics like the plague. It just seemed I could never control them the way I could with oils. So I never gave them a chance. It seems I did this with many mediums. I avoid until I force myself to use it. Lo and behold, I came to a startling realization.

A true artist can tame and even master almost any medium if you have a solid art foundation to begin with. What I mean by foundation is figure drawing from a live model or simply practice, from when you first could pick up a pencil.

What does this mean for you? Just because you fail trying out watercolor that one time doesn't mean you should avoid that medium forever. In fact, you are doing yourself a great disservice if you do! Trying different mediums adds to your portfolio and your technical skills.

watercolor palette
What medium or style of art scares you? That's the one that will teach you the most!


And if you can't get a grasp on a specific aspect of the drawing or painting? YouTube has a ton of tutorial videos which can help you add art techniques to your arsenal. 


So this month I had an almost impossible two-day deadline on a 30" x 40" oil painting I had started about 3 years ago. This was where it was when I heard about the deadline. And I couldn't find the original picture; I only could find another picture from the same session which had her in a completely different angle.

pic of Maya Trimner painting in progress 'Through the Veil'
'Through The Veil' in progress



Although I cannot state the name of the exhibition, it also turned out the theme of the exhibition was very fitting. This bridal portrait was meant to be a part of that exhibition and I was determined to make it in.

I looked at my mom and said, "Sooo...I have two days to finish this painting. Think I can do it?"

Needless to say, she just smirked and said, "Really? You've had it in your room for over two years and you're now going to finish it in two days?"

"Watch me."

And I did. I hardly ate. I worked all night and slept when the sun came up.

Sunday evening I was notified 'Through the Veil' was accepted! Although I cannot disclose details until after the exhibition is over, I couldn't be more elated.


This is what pure miracles and magic are made of. If I weren't flooded with this inspiration from some unforeseen source, I would never have gotten to that finish line. And although I'm not going to show you photos of the final piece until after the exhibition is over, I know that my subject would be proud.

Here are some sneak previews:


And another...




She was a mother, a wife, a daughter, an auntie and a friend to many, including one of my close friends. And although I never met her, I know I met her in spirit, during those wee hours of the morning trying to get her face 'just right' even without the original picture beside me. And when I shared the final acrylic artwork to my friend, her son...he and his father were both overwhelmed. That was the greatest compliment of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment